About the Move

What is the transfer from the New Mexico Public Regulation Commission (PRC) to the New Mexico Department of Transportation (DOT), and when will it happen?

The PRC’s Transportation Division (except for the Pipeline Safety Bureau) will transfer to the DOT on July 1, 2024.

Why is the transfer happening?

Senate Bill 160, which transfers the Transportation Division (except for the Pipeline Safety Bureau) from PRC to DOT, including the responsibility for motor carrier regulation and enforcement, railroad safety enforcement, and ambulance standards, was approved by the legislature during the 2023 Regular session and was signed into law on April 4, 2023.  

What will the PRC Transportation Division be named when it transfers to DOT?

Motor carrier and ambulance service provider regulation and enforcement will be part of the Transportation Regulation Bureau within DOT’s Modal Division. Railroad safety enforcement will be part of the DOT Modal Division’s Transit & Rail Division.

Where will the new Transportation Regulation Bureau be located?

The TRB will be located at the Willie Ortiz Building- 2600 Cerrillos Road Santa Fe, NM.

How do I sign up for emails and notifications?

You can sign up to receive notices here: www.dot.nm.gov/TRB

Are the Statewide Tariffs Rates changing July 1st?

No, all Statewide Tariffs and Rates approved by the PRC will remain in effect. You can find the Approved Individual and Statewide Tariffs under the “Company Directory” here: https://www.dot.nm.gov/trb/company-directory

Procedural Changes and Updates

Will the Motor Carrier Act and Regulations change?

Yes. There are some changes that you are available for review on the DOT website here: https://www.dot.nm.gov/trb/regulations

Will ambulance companies still need to file a reissuance application every 3 years?

No. Changes to the statute eliminate the 3-year reissuance requirement.

Will I need a new certificate/warrant from the Transportation Regulation Bureau?

No. All motor carriers’ warrants and certificates will remain in force.

What’s happening with my PRC #?

If the PRC has approved your certificate or warrant before July 1, 2024, your operating authority number will be the same.

Will I still be able to use my “NMPRC authority/ number”? Do I need to apply again?

Yes, your current NMPRC # will stay the same and you will still be able to use it. No, you will not need to apply again.

What happens to my Motor Carrier Permit?

All permits expire July 1, 2024.

How do I apply for an Operating Authority?

You can access the applications on the website here: https://www.dot.nm.gov/trb/forms-and-information

How do I make a payment?

Payments of filing fees or penalties/fines can be mailed to:

New Mexico Department of Transportation
Transportation Regulation Bureau
Room 130, PO Box 1149
Santa Fe, NM 87504-1149

For ACH or Wire inquiries and setup, please email: AR.AccountsReceivab@dot.nm.gov

For further information regarding financial information, please contact 505-827-6880 to speak with an account receivable representative

Contacting and Submitting

How will I contact my friendly “Transportation” staff after the move to NMDOT?

All phone numbers for each Transportation Division employee will stay the same. You can also contact the TRB at (505) 827-4519 or www.dot.nm.gov/TRB

How do I submit insurance (financial responsibility) documents?

Beginning July 1, 2024, insurance documents can be submitted to: TRB.InsFiling@dot.nm.gov

How do I submit my 2024 annual report?

Beginning July 1, 2025, annual reports can be submitted to: TRB.AnnualReport@dot.nm.gov

How do I submit a complaint?

Beginning July 1, 2024, complaints can be filed here: https://trbcomplaints.dot.nm.gov

How do I make an Inspection of Public Records Act (IPRA) request?