If you operate a tractor, truck, or bus and you cross the state line, or hold a USDOT number, then Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) applies to you. UCR requires individuals and companies that operate commercial motor vehicles across state lines to register and pay an annual fee based on the size of their fleet.
This requirement also includes companies operating as brokers, freight forwarders, or leasing companies and those carriers who crossed the state lines.

A Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) is defined as a self-propelled vehicle used on highways in commerce to transport passengers or cargo, if the vehicle:

  • Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 10,001 pounds or more;
  • Is designed to transport 11 or more passengers (including the driver); or
  • Is used to transport hazardous materials in quantities requiring placarding.
  • Is registered with IRP.

Registering for UCR

  • To register for your UCR today, visit www.ucr.gov and follow the step-by-step instructions.

Once registered, companies providing both motor carrier services and broker, freight forwarder, or leasing services are required to pay at the motor carrier fee level. Those who transport only private carriers of passengers are not required to register or pay UCR fees. Payments may be made using MasterCard, Visa, or e-Check. UCR fees can be found in the below chart.

If you need assistance, Please contact
(505) 487-0867
(505) 470-9053
(505) 827-4519

Download UCR Handbook